TABLE OF CONTENTS
The Retro World Series is a global series of competitive gaming tournaments featuring the greatest retro games ever made. The Retro World Series is comprised of (i) the Main Event, and (ii) Satellite events. Players will be competing in these tournaments to decide the season’s Player of the Year.
By competing in the Retro World Series Main Event and Satellite Events, players will earn Points based on their performance in the various tournaments, in turn allowing them to be ranked against other players on the Retro World Series’ official Player of the Year Leaderboard. The more Points a player accumulates, the higher on the Player of the Year Leaderboard he or she will be.
A Season concludes with the Retro World Series Main Event. After the Main Event is completed, the Player of the Year will be awarded to the player with the most Player of the Year Points.
2. AGREEMENT TO THE OFFICIAL RULES
The Retro World Series Official Rules (“Handbook” or “Guide”) of the Retro World Series (“RWS” or “Competition”) applies to all Teams, Team Owners, Team Managers, Players, and Substitutes (“Participants”) who are actively participating in any event related to the Retro World Series.
By participating in any event related to the Retro World Series, Participant fully and unconditionally agrees to and accepts these Official Rules, which incorporates the Tournament Rules and the decisions of Tournament Organizer, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Tournament. Receipt of any prize is contingent upon the playerʼs compliance with all of these Official Rules.
3. PLAYER ELIGIBILITY
A “Player” is any person who is registered to participate in an event sponsored or sanctioned by the Retro World Series. Players must meet the following requirements in their entirety in order to be eligible to compete. Players who do not meet these requirements will be deemed ineligible and will be removed from the Retro World Series until these requirements are met.
Administration reserves the right to investigate Player information when eligibility is in question. Players should be prepared to provide a copy of personal identification or other applicable documents to verify that these requirements are met.
The Retro World Series is an 18+ program. For live events, competitors must be 18 years of age or older. Exceptions may be made for players under the age of 18 with a parental consent form. Spectators under 18 years of age will need to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
4. CODE OF CONDUCT
The Retro World Series believes that all players should be able to play retro video games in a safe and welcoming environment and community.
All Participants are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that reflects positively on the Administration, Press, Sponsors, Attendees, and other Participants being represented.
This Code of Conduct applies to all players, coaches, managers, spectators, and event attendees participating in Retro World Series-sanctioned or sponsored events including but not limited to:
- Online tournaments including:
- Open tournaments
- Qualifying tournaments
- Invitational tournaments
- Online ladders
- Player of the Year ladders
- Live events including:
- Open tournaments
- Qualifying tournaments
- Invitational tournaments
- Showcase matches
- LAN competitions
By participating in the Retro World Series, Participants agree to abide by the following Retro World Series Code of Conduct.
4.1 CHEATING AND GAME PLAY
No forms of cheating will be tolerated. This includes software modification, hardware modification, match fixing, hacking, exploiting game glitches, impersonation (including playing under another player’s account), collusion, or any other behavior as determined by the tournament organizer or the Retro World Series.
Players may not intentionally delay or slow game play, including but not limited to stalling, disconnecting video, controller, or network cables, interruption of network connectivity, or any other known or unknown manner of tampering with game play.
If a Match is uncompetitive, the Retro World Series Administration or Tournament Organizer reserves the right to declare a winner without replaying any portion of the game.
4.2 DRUGS AND ALCOHOL
The use of drugs or alcohol may lead to disruptive behavior. Players believed to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol during tournament hours may be removed from the tournament at the discretion of the tournament organizer or the Retro World Series. No references to illegal substances will be tolerated.
Players must not use obscene gestures, language, or offensive comments during tournament activity.
- Hate speech or discriminatory behavior
- Violent or physical aggression or behavior
- Sexual harassment of any kind
- Racist or sexist words, phrases or gestures
- Extreme profanity
- Any “sound-alike” or “look-alike” words or phrases that reference these topics
- Any other type of conduct deemed inappropriate at the discretion of the tournament organizer or the Retro World Series
All players are expected to be respectful of the staff of the Tournament Organizers, the Retro World Series, sponsors, and/or partners.
All players are expected to register and show up for their matches on time.
- For tournaments requiring an entry free, registration will close 30 minutes prior to the scheduled starting time of tournament, unless otherwise stated.
- For tournaments requiring no entry fee, registration will close 10 minutes prior to the scheduled starting time of tournament, unless otherwise stated.
Only the Tournament Organizer may make exception to late entries.
Once registration closes, all players are expected to remain in the tournament area and wait to be called for their next match. Leaving the tournament area or being late to a match may result in penalties being assessed.
4.5 EQUIPMENT USE
All players are expected to use Retro World Series’ equipment, including but not limited to controllers, televisions, monitors, consoles, and games, respectfully.
Unacceptable use of the equipment includes:
- Throwing, tossing, or dropping controllers
- Adjusting the settings on or modifying a Retro World Series television or monitor without the consent of Retro World Series Administration or the Tournament Organizer
- Powering on or off, resetting, or adjusting the settings of a Retro World Series game or console without the consent of Retro World Series Administration or the Tournament Organizer
Participants are permitted to bring their own controllers provided they are approved by Retro World Series Administration or the Tournament Organizer.
4.6 COMPETITIVE INTEGRITY
Participants are expected to compete at the best of their ability at all times during Retro World Series-sanctioned or sponsored online or live tournament or events.
It is Player’s responsibility to immediately take action to withdraw from the tournament should circumstances arise which would prevent a Player from competing. Good sportsmanship and the Retro World Series Rules dictate that a person should never enter a tournament they do not intend to finish.
4.7.1 Withdrawals Prior to Registration Deadline
If registration for a Retro World Series tournament has not yet closed, a Player may withdraw by going to the Retro World Series Contact Page. Play must enter in the Subject Line “Withdrawal”. You will need your PayPal Transaction ID from your original registration to withdraw if said registration required an entry fee.
4.7.2 Withdrawals after the Registration Deadline
Withdrawals will not be accepted once the registration deadline has passed. The Player will be entered into the Tournament and automatically defaulted of all matches.
Refunds will only be authorized if the Player withdraws prior to the registration deadline. Additionally, if a Player has previously paid an entry fee and is not accepted into the tournament, the Player is entitled to a refund
4.8 BETTING AND GAMBLING
Participants may not conduct or promote betting or gambling on any Retro World Series match. Participants may not benefit directly or indirectly from betting or gambling on any Retro World Series match.
CAUTION: ANY DELIBERATE ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR EQUIPMENT, TAMPER WITH THE ENTRY PROCESS, OR OTHERWISE UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF A TOURNAMENT MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE RETRO WORLD SERIES AND TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER EACH RESERVES THE RIGHT TO COOPERATE IN THE PROSECUTION OF ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL(S) AND TO PURSUE ALL REMEDIES AVAILABLE TO IT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
5. PLAYER & TEAM RESTRICTIONS
5.1 PLAYER & TEAM NAMES
Player Names and Team Names may not contain:
- Obscene or suggestive language
- Corporation, company, sponsor, product, or services names
- The Retro World Series or any shorthand of the aforementioned
Administration reserves the right to restrict or change Team and Player names for any reason.
Players and Teams may acquire sponsorship. Administration reserves the right to restrict sponsor involvement.
Involvement from sponsors that fall into the follow categories is strictly prohibited:
- No alcohol, tobacco or firearms
- No drug related businesses
- No gambling websites that promote free or pay services
- No dating or personals sites
- No adult products or services (Trojan, Viagra, etc.)
- No debt services
- No online pharmacies
- No political campaigns from candidates or issues
- No adult content such as: excessive or distasteful language, nudity, overt/excessive sexuality images, or racy creative
- No violence such as: content that depicts decapitation, excessive blood splatter, killing, gore, cruelty, rape, molestation, child abuse, repeated blows or shots inflicted upon people/creatures, violent blows to the head, guns/weapons pointed at head, guns/weapons pointed toward reader/audience, depictions of fatal injuries, people/creatures on fire, etc.
- No defamatory, libelous, slanderous, or unlawful content
- No hate speech or discrimination
- No profanity
- No illegal activity
Administration may allow sponsorship exceptions in some cases with prior approval.
6. COMPETITIVE SETTINGS
By participating in the Retro World Series, Participants agree to abide by the Retro World Series Rules and Game Play Settings for Versus, High Score, and Speed Run Tournaments.
7. COMPETITIVE STRUCTURE
7.1 PLAYER OF THE YEAR POINTS
Player of the Year Points will be earned by Players throughout a Retro World Series Season. Player of the Year Points will be used to determine the Retro World Series Player of the Year at the end of a Season.
7.1.1 Point Distribution
Each event will award a number of Player of the Year Points. Below are the point structures that may be used throughout the Season. Point structures may change.
8.1 PRIZE STRUCTURE
Each event will award a cash prize, medal, or trophy, or a combination thereof. Below are the cash prize structures that may be used throughout the Season. Prize structures may change.
For Tournaments that require an entry fee, 100% of every entry fee will be added to the prize pool (pot). A separate tournament fee may be charged.
8.1.1 Versus Tournament Winners Payout
|Position||128 Bracket||64 Bracket||32 Bracket||16 Bracket||8 Bracket|
|Position||128 Bracket||64 Bracket||32 Bracket||16 Bracket||8 Bracket|
8.1.2 High Score and Speed Run Tournament Winners Payout
|High Score & Speed Run Ladders|
|Position||75-99 Players||50-74 Players||25-49 Players||10-24 Players||1-9 Players|
8.2 GENERAL PRIZE RESTRICTIONS
Failure to take delivery of any Prize may result in forfeiture, and such prize may be awarded to an alternate player. Prizes may not be transferred or assigned until after a player has complied with all his or her obligations under these Official Rules. No cash or other substitutions may be made, except by the Retro World Series, who reserves the right to substitute a prize in whole or in part with another prize of comparable or greater value if the intended prize is not available for any reason as determined by the Retro World Series in its sole discretion.
By participating in a Tournament, players acknowledge that Tournament Entities have not and will not obtain or provide insurance of any kind relating to the Prizes and that each player will be responsible for obtaining and paying for any life, travel, car, accident, property or other form of insurance relating to the Prize(s) won by him or her.
Players will be responsible for all taxes (including but not limited to federal, state, local and/or income) on any Prize won and on the value of any items or value transferred to the player by the Retro World Series or Tournament Organizer, as the case may be.
Winners who do not claim the Prize (s) won by him or her within six (6) months of the close of a Tournament or such earlier time as designated by the Retro World Series are void, and the Retro World Series shall have no further liability or responsibility to such player(s) in connection with the Prizes.
By participating in a Retro World Series Event, player hereby grants to the Retro World Series permission to record, videotape and photograph the player (“Player Images”). All Player Images will be owned by the Retro World Series. Player grants to the Retro World Series and each of its designees, the right to use, edit, adapt, post, stream, copy, display, perform, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise exploit Player Images, including any names, likenesses, voice, conversation and any other attributes of the playerʼs personality and appearance, individually or with others, in whole or in part, alone or in conjunction with other material, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, in perpetuity throughout the world, for the purpose of trade, advertising, promotion or any other lawful purpose whatsoever, without additional compensation, consideration, notification or permission, except where prohibited by law.
9.2 BROADCASTED MATCHES
Administration reserves the right to broadcast any Match of the Retro World Series including online and offline play. Participants cannot refuse broadcasts authorized by Retro World Series Administration.
Administration reserves the right to reschedule any Match of the Retro World Series to accommodate a specific broadcast time. Participants cannot refuse this reschedule.
Refusing to allow Retro World Series Administration to broadcast or reschedule any Match may result in a penalty.
9.3 MEDIA APPEARANCES
For Retro World Series Events, Teams and Players will be required to be available for scheduled media content and photo shoots. Teams and Players may be required to be in Administration approved uniform. Best efforts will be made to provide media and photo shoot details prior to arrival. Teams and Players may need to be flexible depending on shooting schedules. Teams and
Players may not refuse participation and any such behavior or tardiness may result in disciplinary action, including a penalty. Teams will be required to arrive and depart on specified days in order fulfill Media Day requirements.
For Match Interviews, one Player or one Player nominated by each Team must be available for interviews before, during, or after any Match of the Retro World Series. Nominated Players may not refuse to conduct an interview.
10. PENALTIES AND DISCIPLINARY ACTION
By participating in any Retro World Series events, or Retro World Series sanctioned or sponsored online and live events, players agree to be bound by the final decisions of the Tournament Organizer, the Retro World Series, and anyone acting on the Retro World Series’ behalf.
The Retro World Series and/or Tournament Organizer can, at its sole discretion, take the following disciplinary actions depending on the severity of the infraction:
- Instant removal from an online or live tournament or event
- Withholding of partial or full prize money
- Temporary or permanent suspension from participation in a Retro World Series-sanctioned or sponsored online or live tournament or event
- Pursue prosecution with the law or authoritative bodies for any illegal activities
11. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
THE RETRO WORLD SERIES OR TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER, AS THE CASE MAY BE, HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, WITH REGARD TO THE TOURNAMENT GAME SOFTWARE, EQUIPMENT, OPERATION OF THE TOURNAMENT, OR PRIZING, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, NONINFRINGEMENT, AND THEIR EQUIVALENTS, UNDER THE LAWS OF ANY JURISDICTION.
Tournament Entities shall not be responsible for any of the following:
- incorrect or inaccurate information whether caused by users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in a Tournament or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of a playerʼs registration or game play;
- any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction, or unauthorized access which may result in alteration of game play or game results;
- any problems or technical malfunction of any network or lines, servers or providers, equipment, or software, including any injury or damage to player resulting from participation in a Tournament;
- injuries or losses to playerʼs person or property arising or resulting from participation in a Tournament;
- any acts or omissions by Tournament Entities or their employees, whether negligent or willful, in the conduct of the Tournament;
- any equipment or software malfunction; or
- the inability to complete a game due to any technical malfunction.
The Retro World Series or Tournament Organizer, as the case may be, and at its sole discretion, may require the replaying of any game, match, Tournament, or declare any of the foregoing null and void by reason of any technical or other system error. If for any reason a Tournament or any portion thereof is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failure, or any other causes beyond the control of the Retro World Series or Tournament Organizer, as the case may be, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Tournament or any portion thereof, the Retro World Series or Tournament Organizer, as the case may be, reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Tournament or any portion thereof. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, in the event that the Retro World Series or Tournament Organizer, as the case may be, determines, at its sole discretion, that any individual game, match, Tournament, has been tampered with or that the validity of any game, match, Tournament has been compromised for any reason, it may eliminate that game, match, and conduct the Tournament on the basis of the remaining game, match, Tournament. In the event that any individual is adversely affected in a game, match, Tournament by any technical or equipment malfunction, the Retro World Series or Tournament Organizer, as the case may be, reserves the right to schedule special game, match, Tournament among any such competitors so adversely affected. In the event of any cancellation, termination, modification or suspension of the Tournament or any portion thereof, the Retro World Series will post a notice at http://www.retroworldseries.com.
By participating in a Retro World Series Event, players agree that:
- any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with any Tournament or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Brazos County, Texas;
- any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering and participating in a Tournament, and in no event shall any player be entitled to recover attorneysʼ fees; and
- under no circumstances will any player be permitted to and each player hereby waives all rights to claim or recover punitive, incidental, consequential and/or special damages or any other damages (other than out-of-pocket expenses) and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, playersʼ rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Retro World Series or Tournament Organizer in connection with the Tournament, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with Texas law without regard to choice of law or conflict of law rules.
13. RESERVED RIGHTS
The Retro World Series reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to revise, update, change, modify, add to, supplement, or delete certain terms of the Official Rules for any reason. Such changes will be effective with or without prior notice. The most current version of the Official Rules is posted at www.retroworldseries.com.
We expect all players to act with competitive and personal integrity at all times and to show good sportsmanship, honesty, and fair play. The Retro World Series should be a safe and welcoming place for all players from all backgrounds.